REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS FOR CERAMIC MOSAIC MURAL
Deadline for Application: Friday July 18, 2014
Eligibility – artists from Kentucky and surrounding region
No Application Fee
Art in Motion, in partnership with the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government,
LexArts and Lextran, is seeking professional artists experienced with mosaic murals. Art in
Motion’s mission is to make Lexington a more vibrant, livable city through the fusion of
public art, public transit and public spaces. This contest is being sponsored by a grant
from the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, Lexington Directions and other
donations to Art in Motion.
This call seeks qualifications from artists for a new, permanent, ceramic mosaic mural to
be designed and built as part of the restoration of the historic Gardenside bus shelter on
Alexandria Drive in Lexington, KY. The structure, adjacent to the Gardenside Shopping
Center, was the first privately financed shelter in Lexington.
Project Scope and Themes
The goals of this project are to:
- Celebrate the mid-century modern architecture of the Gardenside bus shelter and surrounding neighborhoods and explore the iconic Miami Beach design aesthetic that inspired the original owner/builder of bus shelter.
- Provide an opportunity for artists to create large scale artwork in the public realm.
- Encourage environmental sustainability by increasing public transit ridership though art.
- Enhance the waiting experience at the Gardenside bus shelter.
- Reflect the history and significance of the Gardenside shopping district and surrounding neighborhoods in Lexington, Kentucky’s west side.
The budget for the mural is $15,000 which must include all materials, labor and artist’s
- The mosaic mural is to be placed on the back inside wall of the structure as pictured below:
- Dimensions of the wall to receive the mural are 110” by 59”.
- Because the structure is an open bus shelter, the mosaic mural must be designed and installed to weather all seasonal elements, especially sub-freezing temperatures.
- See attached map for the location of the historic Gardenside bus shelter.
Proposed Project Timeline
- Artist Submission Deadline: Friday, July 18 2014
- Artists selected: Friday, August 1 2014
- Fabrication and Installation of Artwork: by 2014 year end
- Dedication of artwork: to be announced
- A 1-page, typed letter of interest (optional).
- Artists should submit up to 6 existing images of past mosaic murals completed by the artist and a current resume that includes all relevant experience, credentials and at least three references.
- Digital images must be submitted as jpeg formatted, PC compatible images on a CD (no template presentations such as PowerPoint, Flash or Picasa will be accepted).
Artist Selection: The submissions will be reviewed by a Public Art Advisory Committee.
The committee will select an artist based on the parameters described in the project
description. Artists will be notified of selection status by email (or by phone, if the artist
does not have an email address).
Critical Selection Factors
Critical selection factors include:
- The strength of the image and how well it responds to the themes described in the project description.
- Mosaic design must be suitable for public display.
- Design should be bold enough to be viewed from a distance and also interesting when viewed up close.
For more information, please contact AIM coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or
859-321-1341. Art in Motion reserves the right to refuse any or all submissions, to waive
informalities in proposals or procedures, or to withhold the award of a commission
should it be determined that submissions are not adequate, or for any other reason prior
to a written contractual arrangement being reached.
Please mail submission to:
Art in Motion, Inc., Mosaic Mural Contest
838 East High Street, # 114
Lexington, KY 40502
or email to: email@example.com